Jan David Winitz, founder of Claremont Rug Company, an Oakland, California-based art dealer who specializes in connoisseur-level to museum-caliber 19th century Oriental rugs. He is the author of The Guide to Purchasing an Oriental Rug. In the collecting world, he is acknowledged as having elevated the status of rugs from the Second Golden Age of Persian Weaving (ca 1800 to ca 1910) from a decorative craft to an art, recognized for their masterful color and design, cultural significance, symbolism, and importance as an influencer of other art forms.
Inspired by a family member’s collection of Near Eastern rugs, he acquired his first antique carpet while still in high school. Later, during the three years he spent as a high-school English teacher, he sold rugs privately. Then in 1980, at the age of 25, he gave up teaching to found Claremont Rug Company with his wife Christine Hunt Winitz, in a small storefront building in Oakland, California with the goal of presenting antique carpets to the public as, “works of art comparable to those usually displayed on the wall.”
A frequent lecturer, Winitz is credited with raising the critical opinion about vintage Oriental carpets from that of a craft to a collectible art form, investment, and tangible asset. His clients include Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, motion picture executives, rock music stars and classical musicians, Nobel Prize winners and several dozen Forbes 400 List billionaires based in more than a dozen countries, as well as throughout the U.S. In 2009, The Robb Report named Winitz and his gallery as the “Best of the Best,” in its Antiques category. It was the first and only time that a rug purveyor has been selected for the accolade.
- In his annual year-end overview, Claremont President and Founder Jan David Winitz discusses trends and changes in the antique rug market in 2016
- In this article, Claremont Rug Company’s Jan David Winitz explains what to look for when purchasing Persian antique rugs and Caucasian tribal rugs.
- In this article Jan David Winitz explains in depth his 9-point method for evaluating antique rugs
- In this interview with Private Air Luxury Homes, Jan David Winitz discusses what to look for when purchasing antique Persian rugs and Caucasian rugs
- Jan David Winitz of Claremont Rug Company shares his Rug Pyramid, a way to understand the Oriental rug market and find everyone the right Persian rug
- Claremont Rug Company President Jan David Winitz discusses the types of collectors interested in art-level Oriental rugs in this Chubb Collectors article
- In this article Jan David Winitz discusses Claremont’s extensive collection of collector caliber antique rugs in subtle, understated hues
- This piece by Jan David Winitz discusses the types of collectors of antique art rugs and varying collecting styles
- In this article, Claremont President Jan David Winitz discusses the increasing demand for antique Oriental rugs as their profile rises as works of fine art
- Jan David Winitz looks at the increasing use of antique rugs as wall art and art investment pieces in this article from Chubb Collectors
- In this article from Chubb Collectors Claremont’s Jan David Winitz looks at the connection collectors and connoisseurs build with their art rug collections and how it enriches the way they interact with their pieces
- Jan David Winitz discusses rug market trends and Claremont Rug Company with Art Daily
- Jan David Winitz introduces the reader to his proprietary Oriental Rug Market in this article from Chubb Collectors
- In this piece from Chubb Collectors, Jan David Winitz explores the role of antique rugs in the homes and collections of modern art collectors
- Jan David Winitz explains the rising trend of antique Persian rugs and Caucasian Tribal rugs as art investments and the characteristics connoisseurs look for when purchasing investment pieces
- Claremont Founder Jan David Winitz explains what to look for when examining an antique rug, highlighting the features that make an antique rug a work of art
- Jan David Winitz discusses the importance of a high quality catalog as an educational tool and the process of creating one at Claremont Rug Company
- In this article from Axa, Jan David Wintiz looks at the psyche of the dedicated collectors of antique Persian rugs
- Jan Winitz discusses what sets art-level rugs apart from the rest in this insightful article and looks at several regions known for producing these rare works in this article from Chubb Collectors
- Jan David weighs in on Sotheby’s record-breaking sale of the Sickle-Leaf carpet
- Part 1 of a 4 part write-up in Carpet Collector Magazine that takes an in-depth look at the symbolism of motifs found in 19th century Caucasian rugs.
- Part 2 of a 4 part write-up in Carpet Collector Magazine that takes an in-depth look at the symbolism of motifs found in 19th century Caucasian rugs.
- Part 3 of a 4 part write-up in Carpet Collector Magazine that takes an in-depth look at the symbolism of motifs found in 19th century Caucasian rugs.
- Part 4 of a 4 part write-up in Carpet Collector Magazine that takes an in-depth look at the symbolism of motifs found in 19th century Caucasian rugs.
- This is the first of a two part interview with Claremont Rug Company’s President, Jan David Winitz, about antique Oriental rugs & antique Persian carpets.
- This is the second in a series of interviews with Claremont Rug Company’s President, Jan David Winitz, about antique Oriental rugs and Persian carpets.